Charges for the carriage of accompanied pets will be the normal excess baggage charges and animal and container are not allowed for pooling in the Free Baggage Allowance
However these pets may be carried free of charge if the dog is trained to lead the blind passenger with impaired vision and dependant on such dog or the passenger with impaired hearing and dependant on the dog, provided this is medically established or supported. Dog if properly harnessed may be permitted to be carried in the cabin but cannot occupy a seat.
Pets will be accepted only when properly crated and accompanied by valid health and rabies vaccination certificates, entry permits and other documents required by countries of entry for transit Pets will be accepted at owner’s risk and subject to requirements of the carrier.
Air India will not be responsible in the event such pets are refused entry into or passage through any country or territory.
Policy for Carriage of Pets on India - USA - India Route
Carriage of pets will not be permitted on nonstop flight operated by Air India on the India – USA - India route. The only exception would be service dogs required to assist the blind or deaf, which may be carried in the cabin.
The existing policy reiterated below will continue to apply to all other International flights operated by Air India subject to the regulations of the country of destination and all en route transiting countries.
The existing policy:
Domestic pets such as dogs, cats and birds are permitted on Air India flights in the cabin or as checked in baggage depending on the regulations of the country of destination subject to the following conditions:
- Properly carried in soft ventilated bags/kennel in the prescribed size.
(kennel size not to exceed 18" x 18" x 12")
- The pet must be properly muzzled and leashed and the weight of the pet
including the container should not exceed 5kgs. Pet will be carried at an additional charge n will not be included in free baggage allowance.
- Valid health and rabies vaccination certificates.
- Entry permits and other documents required by countries of entry or transit.
- Pet accepted at owner's risk and Air India will not be responsible in the event of such pets being refused entry into or passage through any country or territory.
- The owner will be responsible for compliance with all governmental customs and health requirements, including quarantine arrangements at destinations.
- The owner will assume all the risks of injury, sickness or death of the pet accepted for carriage.
- A declaration indemnifying the airline will be obtained from the passenger
- The owner must ensure their pets meet the quarantine requirements. Pets may be subjected to quarantine at destination at the owners expense. The quarantine period may vary and would be at the discretion of the vet authorities at destination.
A trained dog or a service dog to assist blind or deaf passengers will be carried free of charge in addition to the normal free baggage allowance.
Maximum 2 animals- pets or service dog are permitted per aircraft, with the concurrence of the commander.
Only one service dog per flight will be permitted.
For flights to/from via London - pets are not permitted in the cabin or as accompanied baggage.
For flights transiting Middle East - live birds will not be carried as accompanied baggage either in the cabin or in the hold.
They may however be permitted as accompanied baggage ex India to the Gulf.
Carriage of dogs/cats/pets and any other mammals in cabin of the aircraft is not permitted in UK.,i.e, into or out of LHR or through LHR.
Policy for Carriage of Pets into UK
Carriage of dogs/cats/pets and other mammals are permitted under Airway bill only with prior intimation to LHR airport.