Home > FAQs > Online Bookings
1. What is online booking and how do I use it?
A. Online booking is a convenient way of booking your travel over the internet. Using the Air India online services you can:
1) Book a flight and pay online for your travel itinerary
2) Request for a particular seat, special meal, or service
3) Book a Car and/or Hotel
2. What flights are available for online bookings on www.airindia.in ?
A. Online booking is available on AI operated flights, out of all cities on the Air India network and on AI code share flights.
3. How do I use the online booking service?
A. You can start by visiting “Book Online” option of this site. You will then have to follow the process of
1) Search - Find a suitable flight/routing/date
2) Select - Display of fares and selection of suitable fares
3) Passengers & Payments – Inserting details of passengers and payment details on a secured site
4) Confirmation - Getting a confirmation of the booking details
4. Can I use this service for checking availability and fares without actually purchasing a ticket?
A. You can check flight availability and fares, as we take the payment only if you choose to complete a booking.
5. How can I view the schedules offered by Air India?
A. Please click on the timetable- schedule link to view the schedule. You cannot make an online booking using this option though.
6. Can I book different classes for different legs of my journey?
A. Yes. You may use the First/Executive option or the Executive/Economy option for booking different classes, for your outbound or inbound travel legs of your journey.
7. How can I book a flight that returns to/from a different airport?
A. Use the “Multi-city” link to enter details of your separate flights.
8. Is an Air India online booking valid for travel on other airlines?
A. No, currently all the bookings are solely for travel on Air-India and its code share partners. Tickets are non-endorsable to any other airline.
9. Can I make the booking online and pay at any of the Air India offices?
A. Due to ticketing regulations, a different fare may apply if you wish to pay for the tickets at an Air India office. The fares displayed online are for sale and payment on http://www.airindia.in/ only.
10. Can I avail of Companion offers online?
A. No, currently this facility is not available for online booking; you may please contact your nearest Air India office.
11. What is the maximum number of travelers for whom I can make an online reservation?
A. You can book online for up to nine (9) passengers, including adults and children in your traveling party. Infants are co-related to the number of adults in the traveling party. The figure may vary in Business and First class depending on the configuration of the aircraft.
12. Can I make an online booking for a child traveling alone?
A. No, please contact your nearest Air India office.
13. Can I purchase an open-dated ticket when I book online?
A. No. The selected sectors must be booked on a confirmed basis and paid for at the same time.
14. Can I make a booking online with my credit card if I am not travelling myself?
A. If the cardholder is not a part of the traveling party, then the passenger should possess:
1. A photocopy of both sides of the card, which will have to be self attested by the card holder authorising the use of the card for the purchase of the ticket. For security reasons, please strike out the security CVV digits on the copy of the card.
2. This photocopy should also contain the name of the passenger, the date of journey and the sector on which the journey is made.
The above document MUST be produced at the time of check-in. If the passenger fails to comply with these conditions, Air India reserves the right to deny the passenger(s) from boarding the flight.
The details mentioned above do not apply for Net Banking.
15. Can I book my ticket online and pay later?
A. Currently we do not offer this service online. The full payment has to be received at the time of making the online booking.
16. How can I pay for my ticket online, what are the payment methods?
A. You can use a credit card issued by Master/ Visa / Amex , certain debit cards or by net banking. Details of the banks for Debit cards and net Banking are mentioned in our Terms and Conditions. Amex cards can be currently used only for online bookings made for travel within India or for travel from India). If your payment is successful you will receive an Itinerary receipt by email.
17. Can I use more than one card for my payment if I have a credit limit on my card?
A. No. For one transaction only one card can be used for online booking.
18. Is it secure to give my personal details and my Credit card information online?
A. Our site http://www.airindia.in/ uses the industry standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology to encrypt all personal data that is sent by your computer to the Air India server. Please see our Terms and Conditions for details.
19. How do I know that the connection is secure?
A. The closed lock on the bottom of the browser is an indication that the page is secure. You may also view the same, using the browser security options in the tools/ properties depending on the browser you are using.
20. If I book my flights online, how will I get my tickets?
A. After you complete your online purchase, the system will generate your itinerary receipt and display it on the screen. This will have the key information about your reservation. You will need to print the receipt and produce it at the airport along with your valid photo identification for check-in. An e-mail will also be sent to you with the e-ticket receipt which you can print. Please carry this printed receipt to gain access to the airport and to check-in.
21. My itinerary receipt displayed on the screen did not print. What should I do?
A. You should have received a copy of the receipt at the email address you entered during the booking process. You can print this out instead and use it. You are required to print and carry this receipt to gain access to the airport and to check-in. Alternately, you may click on the “My Bookings” option in your profile to view your booking details.
22. Can I check to see that the payment for my ticket has been successful?
A. If your payment is successful you will receive an Itinerary receipt. You can also log in and view the status of your booking from “My Booking” tab or view your booking as a guest.
23. What are the time restrictions of buying a ticket online?
A. Online booking is available for all flights up to 2 hours before scheduled departure time. Online booking is available for any flight, with a scheduled departure up to 330 days in the future.
24. I only wish to buy a flight ticket. Why should I register?
A. You may book online without registering. However, if you register with us, you’ll be able to store your personal, travel, and credit card information in your profile, so there will be no need to re-enter the information the next time you log in and book travel on http://www.airindia.in/ . If you are not already a Frequent Flier member, you may register at http://www.airindia.in/. Registering as a user allows you to take advantage of our internet services, such as access booking details, booking again with us in the future, changing your meal requests and receiving special offers and updates. Registration is quick and you only have to do it once.
25. Does my online user name need to be the same as the name on my passport?
A. No. When you register online you can use any name as a user name but within your profile you should enter your forename, middle name and surname as they appear on your passport, national id and flying returns membership.
26. How do I manage my account and personal details?
A. To manage your account and personal details on the profile you can log on with your Frequent Flier number or the User id and password. Your personal and credit card details and your travel preferences are saved to your profile, so that you don't have to enter these details every time you log in to make a booking on the site.
Your personal information may be updated at any time by logging in and then selecting “My Account” from the menu. You can edit personal details on your account page.
27. What can I update on my profile?
A. You may view and amend your profile details using the ‘Profile’ tab.
If you are not already logged in you will be asked for your logon details.
Profile details include:
Frequent flyer schemes
Information may be Added, Deleted or Edited where appropriate.
Profile Password may also be changed here.
28. How can I view my trip details online?
A. If you are a Frequent Flier member or a registered user, you may view your past and current trip details on the “My bookings” tab when you log in to your account.
For guest users, you may click on the “Find bookings” option and use the “View booking as Guest” option to view your current unused travel details.
29. What should I do if I forget my password?
A. If you’ve forgotten your password, please click on the Forgot Password link on the login page. The password hint you provided when you registered, will be emailed to the email address in your profile. You may also send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
30. What is a password hint?
A. When you register online, you are required to enter your password and a password hint to help you remember your password. If you have forgotten your password, select this option on the login page to see your hint.
31. Why did I not receive my booking confirmation SMS?
A. Confirmation SMS will only be sent if you selected the send confirmation SMS check box during the booking process. Currently we only send SMS to Indian mobile phones and not to international numbers.
32. Can I book a trip with more than one destination?
A. Yes. By using the Multi-city link you can search for point to point flights by filling up to 6 destinations.
You can also use this function to book a journey with a stopover for one-way or return travel, by entering each leg of the journey separately with the required dates. For example, to book a stopover in Delhi on your way from London to Mumbai, enter “London” and “Delhi” in the first set of search fields, then “Delhi” and “Mumbai” in the second set.
You can also use this function to book a journey that begins in one city and ends in another after passing through one or more cities in between.
33. How can I book a one way or return travel?
A. Select the “One way” radio button on the “Book online” page for one way travel. The “Return” radio button is used for booking return point to point travel.
34. I can see a lower fare than the fare that I have paid for, Why? Can I get a refund of the balance amount?
A. Air India has seats for restricted and unrestricted fares in the same class of travel. As flight availability is dynamic in nature, the fares may differ with the discounted fares being available later. Refund cannot be processed for the difference in fare. The same applies if the fare displayed is higher that the fare that you have paid. We do not collect the fare difference if you do not change your travel date. The fare difference is collected only if the travel date is changed and the fare applicable for the rebooked dates is higher than the amount paid by you.
35. Will extra fees and taxes be charged on top of the price shown online?
A. All known taxes at the time of reservation have been collected. However there may be some taxes which are collected at the airport on departure. As the merchant is based in India, some credit cards also charge a foreign transaction fee. This fee is not charged by Air India.
36. I haven’t received my booking confirmation email what should I do?
A. Please check that the email has not gone into your Junk Mail folder.
You can also sign in to your online booking manager and check that you have entered the correct email address.
37. I entered my booking reference and name in the View booking as Guest but I cannot see my booking.
A. Check that you have entered the correct booking reference number (this is also sometimes called the PNR) and that the exact name of at least one traveller as it appears on their passport.
38. How do I check flight status?
A. There is a link on the SEC home page for viewing Flight Status.